Vladmir Putin... 9th Dan (honorary)

Discussion in 'News' started by John Hulslander, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

So, do nothing when an opportunity exists to positively influence the behaviour and outlook of a significant proportion of the population in the long term? Without the need for any kind of confrontation?

2. bowlie

bowlie Well-Known Member

IF it was garunteed to make a positive difference then I would say yes, but some of the worst things in human history have happened because people tried to change the world for the better.

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

But in those instances people have tried to change to world by force.

4. northface

northface New Member

Surely you must at least practise the art to get such an honour? Maybe I'm missing something as well as my hair :(

5. liquidcadmus

liquidcadmus New Member

Not speaking of this case in particular, but in general; Honorary belts in martial arts are a pet peeve. unless you have an informal training and you are actually very skilled, which would 'kinda' make sense.(but still not)
    I find it highly disrespectful for those who actually train hard to earn a black belt degree when I see someone just get a black belt handed to them as a cute gesture.
    I think obama also got a honorary black belt in WTF tkd. which made me roll my eyes. whats the point? it denigrates the value of what a black belt is supposed to represent.
    everytime I tie my TKD or Kyokushin belt around my waist, I feel pride for the hard training I underwent to attain that level. and I also respect others who did so because I know they did too.