What does each pattern teach?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Gnarlie, May 21, 2013.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

What does each Taekwondo pattern teach the student?

Taegeuk, Palgwe, Ch'ang Hon, or whatever it is that you practice.

Pick a form, and tell us what you believe and understand that it teaches.

Taegeuk IL jang:

The meaning of this form is heaven and light. The Korean Haneul (heaven) in the context of the philosophical concept Samjae can be considered to represent the human mind, and intangible, spiritual things.

This pattern is the student's introduction to Taekwondo. It shows them the concept of precisely controlling their body with their mind and the power of their will or spirit; the heaven.

In terms of the physical principles taught, it is an introduction to basic footwork combined with basic hand and foot motions. It introduces these principles, which carry through many of the later patterns, and self defence, and sparring and fighting:

-The 90 and 180 degree turns in every permutation of footwork for turns where the back is not given to the opponent.
    -Waist twist power.
    -Employment of gravity to aid power through footfall timing.
    -Weight shifting of the centre of gravity over the basic stances Apseogi and Apkubi
    -Importance of the back leg in power generation.
    -The importance of stance length and width.
    -Reaction hand and body motion.
    -Coordination of power derived from waist twist, with the power phase of the two hand motion and the footfall, directly forwards and through 90 and 180 degree turns.
    -The concept of blocking and the primary target areas danjun, myeongchi, and injung.
    -Correct contact surfaces for block and strike.
    -The linear strike to myeongchi.
    -Basic fist formation.
    -Use of the front or back hand for striking and blocking.
    -Basic kicking, use of the hip for power and striking surface used, and importance of standing leg position.
    -Importance of post-kick rechamber and balance recovery and continued motion without interruption.
    -Delivery of power through forward stepping motion.

All of the above whilst in motion and in multiple different combinations.

And people say patterns are a waste of time!

2. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

In Chang Hon Tuls the interpretations of each are there for you to take from them whatever you recognise.
    They do symbolise history but also much more.
    As far as breaking down each tul to say what you gain from the techniques, we would need a lot of pages for each.

Your point is good and I think those that argue about the Tuls, should come and ask me.

Not as a challenge on Tuls but if you want to then fine do so.

Practice makes perfect but I do not believe you can ever be perfect, but you can persevere to be, with indomitable spirit and please when trying to be perfect then do not loose self control, when confusion arises then ask your senior using courtesy, then you will be helped and having used all the above, your integrity will of got you where you want to be or into the future will help you gain said.

Master Fahy and Gnarlie like this.
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Thank you, eloquently put :)

John McNally likes this.
  4. Matt Parker

Matt Parker New Member

I think patterns over time teach economy of motion, essential in all martial arts, plus it acts as conditioning if done properly...it hones technique and focus

John McNally and Gnarlie like this.
  5. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I remember a book from Master Kyung Myung Lee (Dynamic Tae Kwon Do if I'm not mistaken) explains each patterns philosophy, and thus, the lesson they carry.

Gnarlie likes this.
  6. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Gnarlie likes this.