What is your least favorite pattern.

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Manus, May 25, 2014.

1. Manus

Manus New Member

We all have patterns that we love and practice all of the time. But there is always that pattern that we do not like or at least is our least favorite to do. Do not feel ashamed to share your thoughts.

2. Manus

Manus New Member

My least favorite pattern is either Chil Jang or Keumgang

3. Manus

Manus New Member

My least favorite pattern is either Chil Jang or Keumgang

4. Manus

Manus New Member

5. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Member

What is it about Chil Jang and Keumgang you don't like?

In my experience, students who don't like a form usually don't fully understand it. If you're a 5th Kup, I would assume that's the case for Keumgang.

For example, I don't particularly like Sip Jin this week. Probably because every other form I 'know' is long forgotten and simply kept in muscle memory whereas I only just started learning Sip Jin so it doesn't feel natural yet. I know that as I continue to work on it that will change.

6. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

i can honestly say ive never given a thought about if i liked a pattern or not, i practice all 8 of the hyung i know everyday 10 times each, if i had to choose a pattern i didnt like it would probably be chon ji more because of the last 4 moves of it dont make much sense to me

7. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

8. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

My browser wont let me edit
    I don't like the repetitive block kick block then block punch kick block then block kick block.
    always was a troublesome one for me.

9. Manus

Manus New Member

I think Keumgang requires a lot of patience that I do not have.

10. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

Palgwe forms: I-jang and Sam-Jang should change place. I-jang is more difficult than Sam-Jang. Also, half of palgwe sam-jang is a copy paste from the shotokan kata heian shodan.

Taegeuk forms: the first three forms are almost just slight variations of each other. Also teageuk oh jang and other forms that run the risk of being difficult because you have to count how many times you've done the same sequence are cheap.

Koryo and upwards: The funny thing is, I would probably have hated Koryo from 1965-1972, but since I discovered it some time ago it has become this little gem of mine, a fun bonus pattern that is my little secret, but it is very Karate-like, especially done the old fashioned way.
    Keumgang is very rigid, it isn't reliable for competition if you don't know what you will be standing on top off as you're performing it.
    Taebaek feels like beating a dead horse. Seriously, another form that rips of the ancient trinity combo found in Heian Nidan, Won-Hyo and Palgwe sah-jang to name a few.
    Pyongwon is to short, they should mix it with Po-Eun.
    For Sipjin I've always felt that it lacked some sort of spin kick, maybe something like in Eui-Am, that would have been nice.
    Jitae is a bit slow in the start. Also there seems to be little consensus on what movements are performed slowly, for instance on Jitae we used to only perform oelgol magki slowly.
    Chonkwon I don't like, because people go back and forth on the punching. Some do a double punch on the sidesequences. The new videos from Kukkiwon show that too, but I've learned that it is only one punch with the same hand.
    I have the same problem with Ilyeo, first apchagi with right or left leg? People go back and forth on this as well, I've even seen Master Kang start with his left leg doing the apchagi while performing this pattern, he also just punches once on Chonkwon.
    I love Hanryu and Bikak though, my only one big complaint are the people complaining over Bikak being to good looking, because they do! Bikak is one of the best things to come from Kukkiwon and is much closer to the taekyon roots for taekwondo than any of the officially accepted forms, that lean heavily towards a japanese influence.

In general I don't like patterns that are difficult because you change sides with your hand motions, Like the slow open hand push block in sipjin, and knife hand strike in Ilyeo. Though it is usually obvious because of the hand positioning in the previous technique, like double punches at the end of taegeuk sah jang. However, this all of a sudden doesn't count for low strike high block in taegeuk chil-jang, wich by the way is a move that goes back to chinese kenpo, probably even further, all the way back to the old fillipino and indian martial arts.

Hyeong
    Chon-ji is a bit to easy. Joong-Gun and Tou-Gye feel so similar, yet when I think about it they're totally different, that confuses and bothers me, why can't I accept that they have little in common. Also, all the beginner forms have little kicks in them and not much jumping either, then all of a sudden in Choong-moo they want you to do flying side-kick and turning round kick to horse-kick and a 360 jump block, I love that form. Everything after Toi-Gye is pretty much great. Though I think Po-Eun is difficult for the wrong reasons, being that huge sequence that must be memorized.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  11. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there's never been a double punch in Cheonkwon. I'm very sure the Kukkiwon videos don't show one.

http://kukkiwon.or.kr/english/information/information04_03_15_ex1.jsp?div=04

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  12. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

Perhaps it is just the pulling of the other hand i see. But I am not to sure, becuase I see people do the same in grading. Also, when I look at vids from demonstrations of chonkwon I often see more of a double punch-ich technique in the newer videos and a more signifacant lone punch in the older ones.

Older:

13. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Look at this from 2006, Kytu Dang's Chonkwon is at 4:38. This is closer to the WTF competition standard, and closer to the Kukkiwon standard too. I think in the vid you posted, it's older, before the standard was really pushed out. It's also the Nordic Championships, which may or may not have been scoring using the WTF methodology.

Also, in competition Kytu Dang is known to add some artistic interpretations timing wise and sometimes extraneous movements are added outside of the standard for the sake of aesthetics if the scoring methodology rewards it. Example, the grabbing pulling hand in your video at the top of the form after the sweeping arm motion but before the side punch is not specified in the standard. Example 2, in the early section of the form moving forward, her uses Koa Seogi, cross stance, when the standard is a shortened Apkubi with the back foot turned in slightly for the Biteureo Makki. You can see him do it per standard in the vid I posted below.

Some people chamber that side punch from a small hinge 'jageun doltzeogi', which is also non-standard, but explains why sometimes you don't see that chamber hand motion. The standard is to chamber the hand stretched out but not in an exaggerated way, as per the KKW vid you posted, and the gold medal winner in the vid I posted. It's not a punch.

The best place to get your info: Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook 2006 edition, Kukkiwon Website Education Centre Poomsae Section (you have to register and log in and it can be a bit finicky), AND get to seminars with up to date Kukkiwon trainers. There is a standard, and watching videos online will only show you part of it.

In this video, Kytu Dang adds little extra on top of the standard as it was at that time, and does not play around with the timing.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014