what is your preferred method of self defense in taekwondo

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by michael mckenna, Jun 6, 2014.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

my preffered method is locks and vital point strikes particularly to the throat the knee's and elbows (a breaking lock), and striking to the front teeth, what way do you prefer to base your taekwondo self defense skills around ?

3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Stun, unbalance, take down, scan, finish if there is another threat.

4. c5sparkchaser

c5sparkchaser New Member

I would prefer not to fight, but, if forced into it, I would definitely go for knees & elbows first. If my attacker cannot stand, kick, or punch, it will be much harder to continue the fight.

5. c5sparkchaser

c5sparkchaser New Member

I would prefer not to fight, but, if forced into it, I would definitely go for knees & elbows first. If my attacker cannot stand, kick, or punch, it will be much harder to continue the fight.

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I always counterattack (well, most self defense techniques are implemented as counter attack), so I wait first. From an attack, I turn it into joint lock if it's a hand attack, or body unbalancing first for a kick, followed by joint lock. Take down, ask whether the attack is willing to give up. If no, then I increase the joint lock pressure to give some hurt. Repeat until give up. If it's really dangerous to let go, then turn the joint lock in to a bone breaking technique (arm first, followed by somewhere around leg, this will make the attacker harder to chase while you escape).

7. Gnarlie

I believe in pre-emptive striking for real applied self defence outside of what we use for learning and demonstration purposes. Waiting for something to counter creates unnecessary risk and loses the initiative.

Pre-emptive locking is also an option. I don't believe in relying on catching a hand attack in motion as a go-to, but I do believe in the power of joint manipulation as a pre-emptive measure.

8. michael mckenna

my instructor teaches us to intercept attack with blocks before the attack can be finished and the instant you block you instantly take them out, the way he has taught us to predict the attack before it is executed if its a punch we watch the shoulders, if its a kick we watch the knee's if its a tackle we watch look out for a hunch, he managed to teach us to look out for these signels all at the same time, he believes that when the attack is blocked/intercepted that our bodys will know what to do instantly. its very effective method

9. Gnarlie

I don't deny that blocking / intercepting works, but if I find myself doing that then I have misjudged the situation leading up to it. I view all interception / block tactics as a third line defence behind verbal deescalation / reading the situation and behaviour, then a pre-emptive strike leading to a control position.

Blocking and interception when all else has failed.

Another way to look at it: if I'm blocking, it's become a fight. If I pre-empt, it's an execution.

10. michael mckenna

im not a big believer in the pre emptive strike, not saying it doesnt work, but it seems more like attacking then defending, and with a pre emptive strike what happens when you misread the situation ? you would of put your hands on a person who had no intention of a physical confrontation, the person can easily be bluffing when using agressive tones in the voice.

11. Gnarlie

Depends how well you understand the law as it relates to self defence in the country where the situation arises.

If I believe that my life is in danger, then the use of reasonable force in self defence is reasonable in containing and/or removing the threat. I do need to be able to justify my actions - but it's about how I perceived situation, and not what the bad guy's actual intentions were.

If he didn't want to get pre-empted, he shouldn't have made me feel like my life was in danger!

12. Gnarlie

Plus, who hangs around after they've pre-empted and waits for the police to arrive?

13. michael mckenna

lol good point

14. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

Awareness is the key to self-defense situations. Know your surroundings. React to the situation quickly without hesitation, (before) you get hit or intercept the attack. Use simple and direct methods of attack, not something complicated. Remember the word kiss, (K.I.S.S.) Keep it simple stupid! When you feel threaten, react to that threat! As for basic self-defense technique, my preferred technique is the eye jab (fingers to the eye). I also teach my students to strike their attackers weapon. We don't waste any motion, we use a block as our strike (like two for one). Using a block as a strike (hand or foot) to the punching arm or their kicking leg. If you asked my students what I harp or rant about the most, they would tell you the eye jab. Master Fahy

15. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

I don't use pre-emptive strike unless in a fight. I consider fighting and self-defense as different things. Fighting is when both sides are aware, self-defense is when you're attacked with intention coming from your opponent. Consider when you have "mouth fighting" then suddenly your opponent punch you, then it's a self-defense. But when your opponent asks you for a fight, then it's a fight.

I'm still with classic martial art principle: avoid fighting as far as possible, escaping is not a coward move, but a smart one. Pre-emptive strikes violates this, because you're to blame when asked "who starts the fighting?".

c5sparkchaser likes this.
  16. Gnarlie

It's not what I would call pre-emptive if a fight has started.

OK.

Self defence begins long before that for me. Self defence is necessary as soon as you perceive a threat. The type of self defence strategy to use depends on the type and magnitude of the threat. That includes escaping where possible.

Both self defence situations. Both of which you can probably walk away from. The first, by reading the verbal and body language, preempting and gaining the initiative on the physical interation, ending what would otherwise turn into a fight. The second, by walking away.

Me too.

Pre-empting does not violate the principle of avoidance. It simply acts earlier in situations where physical interaction is perceived to be inevitable. In answer to the question 'who started the (hypothetical) fight?', two things:

1) it wasn't a fight, because he wasn't aware that the physical interaction had begun. I finished it with a minimum of violence; one stun and a takedown leading to ground restraint with a controlled KO possible if required. I turned a potentially very violent situation into a relatively non-violent one.

2) He started it; I saw him as a threat to my safety. I repeatedly said I wasn't looking for trouble, I used verbal deescalation and even offered a way out. He didn't take it, and continued to escalate, physical interaction had become inavoidable so I acted.

17. Gnarlie

Let me give a real example here:

A friend of mine was walking home from a club a couple of years ago when a couple of guys asked him for a cigarette. While he looked down to open his cigarette packet one of them moved off to the side a little and the other moved closer and tried to punch him in the face.

My friend's first move was to take out the guy at the side with an elbow, preempting any interaction, before taking out the guy in front with a front kick to the groin, then running.

Was he wrong to act pre-emptively against the guy at the side who very much was perceived as a threat even though he hadn't thrown the punch or acted violently except to move to my friend's blind spot?

Incidentally, later he went to hospital to have a tooth surgically removed from his elbow. Sure hope that accomplice had intended to act...

18. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Any of you have any real experience? I'm interested to hear what YOU did, not what your friends did. We can go on for days about the aftermath of this and that.....this philosophy, that moral obligation blah blah. What is real is what happened to you, not someones else. I can assure you the more the stories get told, the longer and more detailed they become as reflection and hindsight starts to play its part.

Michael, a pre-emptive strike is pre-emptive to what exactly? If you are anticipating a course of violent action from an aggressor than pre-emption is self defense. So one day a bully gets knocked out by the victim, the bully doesn't see it. It comes after months of torment and the victim has finally had enough. Is that self defense?

19. michael mckenna

depends if the victim is physically abused or mentally abused.

i have too much experience in having to defend myself, most of it i'd rather forget about. why do you ask if any of us have any real experience ? i'd assume they do but would rather not toot there own horn or tell a pub story. i surely dont lol

20. Gnarlie

^^this. We all have more experience than we would like, thanks, but nothing to prove. We are comfortable with what we know and can do. We are also happy to respect and learn from the experiences of others. Including those available in book form and here on this forum.

If one doesn't learn from other people's experiences, that's pretty limiting, especially with a subject like violence where everyone's experiences and perspectives are different.

I'd love to sit down for a beer with Michael and find out how his experiences in Scotland differ from mine in Liverpool, Manchester, and Germany for example. I'd do the same with anyone here. I'm sure we could learn a lot from each other.

Maybe not everyone feels the same way you do Chris. When did you stop being a student of self defence?

21. michael mckenna

that would be fun and interesting sir