What workouts do you do to support your TKD habit?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by John Hulslander, May 11, 2012.

1. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Currently I am running to build endurance.

I do yoga to promote flexibility and aid muscle recovery.

I do a plyometrics workout to help explosiveness.

What do you do?

2. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

Practice all patterns at least twice daily, Shadow sparring to help produce different combo ideas, Sprint training to allow for better burst energy, Skipping for endurance, long distance running for stamina, Stair climbs for leg strength, alot of core work (situps, crunchs etc), Training with ankle, wrist and chest weights for increased speed and power

Also i do alot of stretching before and after all those excersises and at home.

CoolTKD and Intercept like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I used to go the gym three times a week and do cardio, stretching and weights and core strength training. Since injuring my neck I've stopped a lot of strength related exercises so I'm trying to do running more.
    Yoga is something I really should do though :)

4. Kevin

I used to go the gym three times a week and do cardio, stretching and weights and core strength training. Since injuring my neck I've stopped a lot of strength related exercises so I'm trying to do running more.
    Yoga is something I really should do though :)

5. Brian

Brian Member

5 days a week a My Fitness session on Wii, jogging every other day (which I have to admit I really suck at, so it's not much at all), all forms and one steps five days a week, random yoga stuff now and again, some Tai Chi at night. And 2 classes/week of TKD.

I do some weights, usually in the Wii stuff (lunges w/dumbbells, stuff like that) but am generally very careful with that. With my blown out knee I'm extremely leery of weight stress on it.

alan thompson likes this.
  6. Kevin

Come on....stop being shy....what's your Wii age? :):):)

7. Brian

Brian Member

Depends on day. I'd had days where I could be carded, and days where the Wii recommended cashing in my life insurance for a last blowout. ;-)

Anthony Hayward likes this.
  8. Christina

Christina New Member

When I was good...I was doing P90X, Zumba, some yoga and TKD. Too much on the knees...so I have started back at ground zero, just TKD two times a week, and am considering adding P90X to my summer workout...oh how I hate that program...groans :)

9. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

Turn everything into an explosion of motion. Force = mass x acceleration. The faster you can deliver, the harder your kicks,punches and strikes.
    When you squat, do a tuck jump each time you come up. Leave the ground when doing push-ups and so on

10. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

This is the essence of the P90X plyo workout. If a bunch of people on this board request it, I can post the workout here.

11. Joe

Joe Member

let me see, I do weights training, MMA, shadow sparring, hill running/stair running, ab work, skipping, occasionally boxing, sprints and swimming that about sums it up for me I think lol. And I stretch every morn and night and during workouts

12. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

I'd be keen to get a copy of that workout

13. lynM

lynM Member

Mostly I go to different boxing/kickboxing days at the gym where I take classes. Different instructors at different times = different types of workouts. i take extra time to practice jumping kicks and stretching. Then I come home and walk the dog.

14. Chris J

Chris J Active Member

I personally recommend a rowing machine, I've spent countless hours on a Concept 2 rower and the cardio and strength benefits are amazing even at 41. It's all about adapting to the rising levels of lactic acid that comes when your heart is beating at 190 and your not getting O2 to the muscles. Running and cycling don't incorporate enough body movement for mine, and seem to be the enemy of flexibility and power in the lower half. Not to mention hard on the knees and ankles.

Melody likes this.
  15. Norts

Norts New Member

Teaching helps to review requirements and techniques.
    I started doing yoga to increase and maintain my flexability.
    Biking, hiking, weight lifting and jogging have been my regimen for years.
    Muscle confusion is the current trend and P90X and Insanity are great ways to promote total body fitness.
    For years I did cardio kickboxing.
    There arer new trends that make the workout fun such as Zumba.

16. Christina

Christina New Member

grrrrr! I am so lazy! :)

17. alan thompson

alan thompson Member

Hey bud,I do a little jogging and stretching ,wii yoga and tai chi as well as all my sparring and patterns with my son....but need to fined something to help with my high kicking as i lose alot of power in my kicks with my stretches

18. Themsah305

Themsah305 New Member

on my off days I do warriorxfit.com its a free website with nice martial arts geared work out. Its simple to do and only requires a resistance band. Usually takes me about 30 minutes to do it and its different everyday.. Its great for the price :D

19. dojo

dojo Member

Anything that I can from running to biking, playing tennis, aerobics etc. I really love working out and, even if I don't always have the time to do so, I do try to not miss an opportunity. For me almost any activity is fun enough, so I enjoy it and also help my stamina and technique.

20. In addition to Traditional TKD workouts I lift weights, and make good use of resistance bands. All of which improve Taekwon-do