What's Your Best Sparring Technique?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by Kevin, May 4, 2012.

1. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

changed alot as i developed. i think it is simplar for may lower grade that they stick to turning /roundhouse kick and thenswitch to somthing else.

i switched to back kick, mainly for use aginst lower grades still working through thier roundhouse days :)

2. RTKDCMB

RTKDCMB Active Member

What's your best sparring technique? Do you have a technique that you use all the time, one that frustrates your training partners?

I quite like the upward reverse knifehand to the groin after distracting them with head strikes - gets through about 80% of the time. I also like doing a hooking kick, pretending to put my foot down and then performing a side kick when they rush in. I also like the skipping spinning hook kick (perform a normal skipping side kick but as soon as you raise your kicking foot put it straight down again, spin and change legs and perform a hooking kick around to the blind side). The last 2 are a little more flashy than I usually do in free sparring but seem to work well.

3. Matt

Matt Member

This is a great question to answer. Competitively I really enjoy using a defensive round kick from the clinch as in fujin step kick or doing it as one as a patachugi. But for my all time favorite kick, that would be a 720 hook kick. Hitting with the hook kick to the knee, then the round to the body, and finishing with another hook kick to the head all in one jump. It is great for board breaking demonstartions.

4. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

I my self like twisting kick. Being 6 foot 8 all of my kicks outreach most people i spar with, so a simple bringing the knee up to the front usually brings most peoples guard forward opening up targets such as solar plexus or the floating rib. But when I have plenty of room i usually upgrade it to a jumping spinning twisting kick.

5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Back kick, because it's a kick I can throw very quickly from any angle, and I've yet to spar with anyone who saw it coming in time to do anything about it.

Pat Thomson likes this.
  6. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Last time I sparred I had much success fighting with counter to their jab with a parry/riposte with my right over the top of the jab patted out of the way. Sometimes was followed with lead low kick to the inside of their lead leg.

But the guys I was sparring were fairly new so that was the pattern I punished them with to get them to change up their tactics and realize if something isn't working, formulate a new plan or figure out WHY your attack is failing (in their case, not setting the jab up with foot work, drawing it back to slow, weighting the lead leg too much etc).

7. Manus

Manus New Member

I like to use mid section check side when my opponent moves forward because I usually score because of the power and it puts them off balance and often floors them. I also hook kick and turning kick to the face a lot.

8. Matt

Matt Member

I really love using my downward round kick, some call it an inverse ax kick. It usually makes the opponent duck but the foot keeps coming and the knock out is inevitable, if it misses though no worry, you just pull your leg back up like a sloppy hook kick and it will hit as it comes back up, a real good way to get a knock out or 6 points. I also like using my 720 hook kick, most people don't expect it and question why you are spinning so much but its dance and its a nice 4 point kick when it lands.

9. Neel-TKD

Neel-TKD New Member

Awesome question!

I find that it depends on who you are fighting. In my first competition I had two fights and lost both as I was a yellow tag who aggressively rushed my opponents. Both, who were members of the UK Army. They read the situation well and learned my style of fighting and took advantage of it. Although, in my recent competition I took my time and learned how to adapt to my opponent. Did much better than before. He was a bit hesitant on rushing and left his stomach area unguarded. Therefore, I'd slyly sidekick him and get points. Worked wonders.

p.s. I love jumping hook kicks, and the axe kick punch punch combination ;)!

10. Deathnever

Deathnever Member

Twisting kick to the head. No one expects my counter twisting kick in a sparring match.

11. My best sparring technique is Checking/feint. It's like checking the back page of a book to see what's coming. I check a lot more than I kick. It can even disrupt an attack if performed correctly. Using different kiaps like, "Hey/Whoa/Woot/Uh" gets into their head as well. Not technically legal, but not discernible since they aren't actually words. Also purposefully showing a false signs when your opponent checks, like acting as though you're going to evade to force them to throw a long attack and changing to a cover punch. Second best technique is footwork, though it's more important than a check. I like to drill on "leg twisters". Small advancements and evasions that cover inches. (As opposed to the 3/4 meter chungin) and knees, or the first half of a kick. Forward, back, forward, forward, back, one, two, back, change stance, forward, back, forward, forward, back, one, two, back, change stance, repeat.

Pil sung!

12. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

For me feinting and double kick would fall in to the category of 'tactics' rather than techniques

13. Perhaps feinting is seen as more of a tactic because of it's use in strategy; but the style in which it's delivered, "convincingly" would be through it's technique. A double is most definitely focused on technique though, turning of the hips and kicking without landing. I have a theory that it was developed through the use of a jump round house, followed by another jump round house. So, Finlay, would you say that using a back kick at the correct moment is more tactic than technique?

14. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

hi there

Good question

For me, and i accept that others may have different view points. Techniques are what use tactics are what enables you to use techniques. Tactics can sometimes be more general, When talking about feinting, i can feint with my footwork, my leg, my arms, my head, or my whole body. Equally with double kicks there are many variations within that

in that way the above clip of Superfoot Wallace, I would put it as tactics. especially the last part when he starts talking about faking. He goes on in another clip to talk about how most people spar, that they stand back and think about what kick they want to use then try it. it fails so they just try something else. I will keep looking for a copy of that clip but in my mind what he is describing is a technique with no tactics behind it.

One drill I do with my students to illustrate this point is to have the choose a technique. i either stipulate that is it their favorite technique or one that they rarely do. For that sparring session they only count points that are scored with that particular technique, this forces them to start thinking more tactically about their movements, how to open an opponent up, how to draw him in etc.

As an aside, I feel that tactics are what is lacking in many self defense curricula. I have been to many courses either as a participant and occasionally as a spectator or an instructor, in the times when the teaching time was shared. What I see very often is a lot of techniques without many tactics behind them. even to the point that running away or exiting is merely given lip service

15. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

here's the clip

16. Evildwarf

Evildwarf Member

My go-to strategy is to have my opponent kick and punch me until they are completely worn out...or maybe I just don't have a very good block and dodge technique yet.

Kick T-shirts likes this.
  17. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

The rope-a-dope without the ropes....... interesting

18. northface

northface New Member

Reverse turning kick is a favourite or a front kick from the rear leg followed by (without landing) a roundhouse kick with opposite leg. I can whip my reverse turning kick very quickly and the double kick combo catches a lot off guard as they defend the front kick leaving the head open for the roundhouse. However being good at a few kicks like the ones I mention can affect my flow and have me waiting to use them or trying to use them when another technique would be better suited. I continue to learn :)

CoolTKD likes this.
  19. Sera

Sera New Member

Well, roundhouse are fast and precise, but my favourite is probably a nice right leg hook to the head. Although a few jumping inside crescents in a row is pretty fun too, and you always catch the eventually. XD

20. CoolTKD

CoolTKD New Member

Definitely the spinning back kick. I don't think any other kick gives you that amount of power...and satisfaction