What's your dominant side?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Sparring' started by dojo, Apr 25, 2012.

1. dojo

dojo Member

I am a right handed person, so as you can guess, when it comes to sparring I also tend to be better on this side. I have sparred with 'lefties' and it wasn't really easy, since you'd expect someone to use the same side as you, so, if you're not careful, you're getting kicked. What's your dominant side?

2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I'm right handed so I always stand in an orthodox stance with my left foot forward. I do switch every now and then but I try not to as it feels unnatural and I feel awkward when someone is attacking me when I have my right foot forward. It's the same with grappling. For example, on the ground I instinctively try and go for the kamura on the right hand side rather than the left. On the left hand side I need to think about what I'm doing but on the right I don't.

3. Leighton

Leighton Member

Again I am an orthadox fighter and find it strange when fighting with my right foot forward, what I do try to do though is in my club classes or just training I will try to spar with my right foot forward to make it feel more natural so in a competition I'm not 1 dimensional and only fight off one side. The advantage to this is if you face an opponent who only fights one sided they can get confused and stuck if you don't stand the same as them :)

lynM likes this.
  4. lynM

lynM Member

I am right handed and left footed. I got very used to fighting as a lefty. But I switch as needed. In kickboxing I usually go lefty, which means the other lefty gets stuck with me for drills. But when training on the bag, I switch off all the time. I like to keep it balanced. It drives my instructor nuts - in a good way. And free-sparring with the big guys; love messing with their expectations.

5. Joe

Joe Member

I am left handed and find that power is in the right side, while speed is in the left. I found that most people are an orthodox fighter, so I decided to work on the other side. As you have pointed it out, it is very awkward fighting someone that is south-paw stance, as such people don't like fighting someone that chooses the stance because, as far as I have seen, the person who controls the footwork controls the pace, in doing so, they control the fight.

6. Mark McCarthy

Mark McCarthy New Member

i am right handed but when i spar i lead with with my left and i might not be the best at it but i do love the h... out of it .

7. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

I'm right handed but fight more as a southpaw, using the right hand lead (hitting with power) and kicking with the left foot with speed and the right foot for power.

lynM likes this.
  8. Christina

Christina New Member

I am directionally challenged. lol My right is dom...my left needs practice ")

9. Master Fahy

Kevin, that is a sign that you should practise more with the left side. Make it more natural for yourself.

10. Master Fahy

Mark, what you've described is normal, it is called an orthodox stance, as most people are.

11. Master Fahy

12. Christina

Christina New Member

Ty Master Fahy...I will do so :) My left backspin and left knife is pathetic :)

13. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

I tend to favor my left side, since I'm better with kicks on my left leg. My right side is favored for hand techniques.

14. David Manning

David Manning New Member

I tend to mirror the direction of my opponent. It leaves them more open to sweeps and reverses.. Im too big to be fast so I have to be sneaky!

lynM likes this.
  15. lynM

lynM Member

We were taught that way too... and since most people stand orthodox, I learned to stand in a southpaw stance. I know my feet prefer it. But in kickboxing, I am leartning, my hands are asking to go back the other way. :- )

16. Mr. Mustache

Mr. Mustache New Member

I grew up TKD ITF. When I spared that style I switched, as my instructors were adamant about us training out weak side twice as much. I then went to boxing, where I threw out my left elbow (formal front hand) but I could not jab as good. So I put 100 hours into power punching with my left. Then I became a south paw. Now I tend to fight left foot back and my dominate hand in the front. Which I find works good, because after transferring to Kick boxing I really like my left back kick and I can pick you apart with my jab.

17. Joel

Joel New Member

My right side is speed, my left is power. I do my combos using both speed as openers and spining kicks. I'm working to master both sides.