What's your favorite TKD pattern?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by dojo, Apr 21, 2012.

1. dojo

dojo Member

Do you have a specific pattern you really like? From all the patterns we get to learn few will 'stick' and become our favorites. Let's see which is yours ;)

2. Kevin

Kevin Administrator Staff Member

I like all the patterns though I think if you do any pattern too much you'll get bored of it.

I always enjoyed Yul Gok.

3. Dean

Dean New Member

Patterns are one the aspects of Taekwondo I enjoy the most so choosing a favorite is hard, but I would have to say that Hwa Rang and Chong Moo have always stood out for me. Although since learning Po Eun (which I didn't think I would like due to its lack of kicks) I was surprised as to how much I do like it as I feel it has a really good rhythm. But I am sure that when I learn Gae Bek it will take the top spot on my list, since watching my instructor compete with a few times I have been determined to learn it and hopefully someday perform it as well as her.

4. Kevin

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the forums. :)

I like Choong Moo too though my hamstring has been quite bad recently so don't think I could do it justice with the kicks.

Some of the black belt patterns are great to watch.

Kevin

Pat Avery and Dean like this.
  5. Dean

Dean New Member

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the welcome :)

Kevin likes this.
  6. Kevin

No problem.

From your avatar, it looks like you have a great stretch. :)

7. Leighton

Leighton Member

Favourite pattern hmmmm, black belt probably Kwang Gae, I like the way the pattern has to move from slow to normal movements, a range of different stances with a couple of kicks thrown in for good measure. Coloured belt paterns probably Joon Gun, I just like the way the pattern moves and have won a couple of comps with this one.

8. tkdlisa

tkdlisa New Member

Gae Bek is my favorite now...

9. ninjanurse

ninjanurse New Member

Right now my favorite is Hansu...I change with the seasons!

Manus likes this.
  10. Jon Sloan

Jon Sloan Member

Yoo-Shin is my personal favorite. It has a good length to it, and has a great mix of techniques to it that makes it fun to practice.

11. lynM

lynM Member

Mine would be Won-Hyo for overall fav. I have a lot of really good memories around that time. Also we always seemed to have a lot of students always at that level and I would have the opportunity to work with them on it more than others.
    I was also enjoying Eui-Am - the movements were a new challenge in balance and control that seemed different than the other patterns.

12. Mark Greene

Mark Greene New Member

I love to watch really skilled practicioners perform Moon Moo, 4th degree. I do like the red belt patterns as well but as far as performing a form, Gae Bek, 1 st degree and choong jang, 2nd degree. I've won a boatload with that one.

13. Christina

Christina New Member

I currently "know" pol guay yuk chung (purple stripe to brown) and I am facinated with pol guay chil chung....challenging for me (brown to red)

14. Pat Thomson

Pat Thomson Member

Po Eun by far, it may not have the great number of kicks from previous patterns, but if done correctly with good speed and power it always inspires awe from the people watching.

lynM likes this.
  15. Ryan Thompson

Ryan Thompson New Member

it will be Yul Gok for me, there is a website which i use if you need to brush up on your korean http://www.taekwondo.uwcs.co.uk/grading.php but it will not have all the patterns on there but it is good for those who are beginning

16. Laurinda

Laurinda New Member

Wow I loved watching this. The power of each move - just great.

Kevin likes this.
  17. tae kwon do mom

tae kwon do mom New Member

My favorite is KEUMANG. It's an easy form, but requires strength and balance!!!

18. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Active Member

My favorite color belt Taegeuk form is "Yuk Jung" Taegeuk #6 . Yuk Jung represents "Water" the basic element of all life. My favorite Black belt form is Koryo, the first Black belt form represents the spirit of the Koryo men from the Koryo dynasty in Korea.

lorraine likes this.
  19. Spirit Eagle

Spirit Eagle New Member

I like Koryo the best although Pyongwon is pretty fun to do also.

Manus likes this.
  20. Rcoskrey

Rcoskrey New Member

I would have to say my favorite is also yul-gok. I think it tests my speed and power.
    Regarding getting bored with patterns, I think you have to find a way to keep them
    exciting. Practise them to music, try doing a pattern backwards starting with the last move.
    Write your own pattern. Give it a name and a definition. I think we can always find something
    that needs to be improved.

If I were to ever get bored with doing patterns, I would have to rexamine why I take Taekwondo.

Ivor likes this.