What's your favorite TKD pattern?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by dojo, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Scotty P

Scotty P Member

I like Won Yo but that was my highest form until last week. I just learned Yul Gok so maybe that will be my new favorite.

lynM likes this.
  2. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

My favourite pattern would be Do-San..It is a great flowing pattern and the techniques can be converted to great self defence applications..I have demonstrated this pattern at demos using throws, takedowns, releases from chokes, grabs and defence against a knife..It is my favourite pattern.

3. Anthony Hayward

Yul Gok is a great pattern..The hooking block combo can be used as a good self defence drill with a partner blocking their punches

4. Anthony Hayward

I like to look into the patterns to see what variations I can use the techniques for in relation to self defence..Its amazing what you find and makes doing them a lot more fun.

5. Brian

Brian Member

Yul-Gok (or as I said we Southerners say it, ya'll-Gok) is the one I think of first, mainly 'cause I was senior in that when I blew my knee out. Took me over a year to get off that belt! ;-) On the other hand, I never forgot it or the previous ones, 'cause when my knee would hurt after surgery, during recovery, and during the dreaded PT, I would run over all the forms in my head for distraction.

6. MitchG

MitchG Member

I am loving all of the poomsaes that I have to perform for my Second Dan test... I just wish I could spell them ;) Keum Ga is, as someone said, great because of the precision and balance. However in our system (OMAC/Song Moo Kwan) we have a series of poomsaes called Chul Gi (Iron Horse). They are all simple side to side poomsaes, and require speed and precision and power. They are great - short and sweet. Pal Ban Moo is currently kicking my butt, but I've got 1-2-3 down well enough to test.

7. Erwin

Erwin Member

Out of all the ones i have seen performed im really loving Moon-Moo!!

8. Stephanie

Stephanie New Member

Yul Gok is a fun one. Taekwondo America performs it in a slightly different style. It was a fun one to learn.

9. lorraine

lorraine Member

My favourite colour belt pattern is chil jang and represents a calm mountain. My favourite black belt pattern is koryo

Petra Roesner likes this.
  10. MitchG

MitchG Member

Ooh I love Tae Guk Chil Jang! :) Probably my favorite Tae Guk!

11. Dinkyduda

Dinkyduda New Member

My favourite pattern is choong moo but i have tried Gae baek as its my next pattern up and that seems like a great pattern too. The guy in the video Jaroslaw suska is excellent at patterns, we dont use sinewave in our association but everyone should watch this guy doing patterns crisp movements with power excellent

Dean likes this.
  12. MichalKosatko

MichalKosatko New Member

13. TKDleeds

TKDleeds New Member

I enjoy all Tuls as they all have their place - personally I enjoy excuting Choi Yong & Moon Moo tuls

14. ScottBolthouseAPMAC

ScottBolthouseAPMAC New Member

Yoo-sin is probably my favorite pattern learned so far. I am also a big fan of Ge-Baek, Ju-che, and for below black belt, Won-hyo and Hwa-Rang.

15. Finlay

Finlay Active Member

to perform i like jhoong gun, and choong moo for the technical level required.

for watching got to be moon moo

16. Pedro

Pedro New Member

The highest I know is Won Hyo, but I like Do San more
    We do it a little bit different, but the way itself is the same, this is an instructional video one of my instructors recorded
    youtube.com/ watch?v=zSCoANeGby8 [i'd post a link, but i don't have 10 posts yet :(]

and in general, I really admire Hwa-rang and Choong Moo

17. stoneagedinosaur

stoneagedinosaur New Member

I guess it would be Joong-Gun. It was my worst pattern for ages and ages. But then I worked at it over and over again, until it became my best pattern. Haven't come across a pattern I don't like. Currently enjoying Gae Baek as a BB

18. colin french

colin french New Member

My two favourite patterns as well I love the way yuk jung flows

19. Red Dragon

Red Dragon New Member

Hmm, Won Hyo was my favourite for a long time. Now I really like Choong Moo, although I don't know it well enough to do by myself yet. The jumping side kick is really fun, and I like how you have to control your centre of gravity much more than the other patterns. :)

20. Leonard

Leonard Member

Since I havnt got too far yet, I dont know much patterns but my current favourite is Do-San.