What's your favorite TKD pattern?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by dojo, Apr 21, 2012.

1. kmn9a

kmn9a New Member

2. Bochica

Bochica Member

Chon-Ji has to be my favourite..... Hold on... That's the only one I know! ;-)

Red Dragon likes this.
  3. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Ge-Baek.

4. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

I think everyone should learn Chonkwon and the Hapkido forms, they're really different from most patterns in taekwondo, but still close enough to learn, no matter what branch of taekwondo one is currently training. The movements are aesthetically pleasing to watch, and it feels great. The hapkido patterns also make use of low sweeping kicks and grappling, which is a nice add to your arsenal.

There is also that insanly long pattern from ITF taekwondo, it is fun to learn because of its length. Personally I prefer doing every pattern after each other. I really hope to get the stamina to do all the 5+17+24 patterns in one take, as it would truly serve as a testimonial to my skill.

Now as people are doing their best to remove juche that is definitely a pattern I must practise, in case they do more than just renaming the pattern. We might be the last to learn.

5. Brian Nguyen

Brian Nguyen New Member

My favorite would be Yoo Sin for sure. A large variety of unique techniques put all into one.

6. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

My favs to do are Yoo Sin, Moon Moo and Hwa rang. to be honest i like them all..

7. Schatzl

Schatzl New Member

My favorite pattern would have to be Yoo-Sin. I love the kicks in that pattern.

8. Ivor

Ivor Member

i have always liked Hwa Rang, not quite sure why except that it looked completely different.

9. HMS

HMS New Member

Gae-bek and Eui-am are definitely my favorites.

EDIT: Actually, Marriage of East and West is also up there, probably above Gae-bek.

Ivor likes this.
  10. damotaekwondo

damotaekwondo New Member

Koryo is my favourite Poomse.

:)

11. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

The only form that I have been taught that would be commonly known here is the standard WTF Koryo form. The other forms we use are modified and shortened by my instructor.

12. Ivor

Ivor Member

I'll have to look up those Hapkido pattern NBSF, they sound interesting.
    i've just been working on Juche, i think you'll enjoy it, its got the right mix of basic and advanced techniques which makes it relatively easy to pick up but a bit of a bugger to master (at least thats my experience! :rolleyes:)

13. teagentleman

teagentleman New Member

Ah, so many patterns to choose from.

WTF would be O Jang (5). I love the variety of hand techniques. You have backfists, hammerfists and elbows, plus a sort of jump at the end which feels very rewarding if done right. To watch, probably Koryo.

ITF is Joon-Gun. I like the switch from block to punch on the way back with the sidekicks.

Finally, although I don't know how to perform it, Po-Eun for the poem.

14. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

my favorite so far is yol gok

15. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Active Member

wish i was that good at yol gok. its cool to see how other federations do it differently

16. Oerjan

Oerjan Active Member

This has always been a difficult question for me. I love them all and for different reasons. At the moment (and for a long time now) it has been Taegeuk Il (1) Jang and Keumgang for Applications since I think they complement each other so well.

For training purposes it is Koryo and Keumgang for Balance and the side kicks as well as the Dan Jun Ho hup (abdominal breathing) in Keumgang Poomsae.

For Exhibition/ demonstrations I love to see Sipjin and Chonkwon done skillfully. It is like poetry in motion (and they contain a lot of practical skills as well).

If I am going to perform Poomsae at a demonstration I usually do Sipjin as it contains slow and fast movements and really show off Taekwondo`s diversity in techniques. Not so much in kicking but in traditional hand techniques.

NoBullShitFighting likes this.
  17. darylb11005

darylb11005 New Member

I suppose I am too new to the art to really have a favorite beyond the current form I am working on. However, I do really like the look of Keumgang. I know it's a ways off, but I really look forward to learning that one.

18. NoBullShitFighting

I actually LOVE juche, I think that the pattern is probably the most honest in depicting ITF taekwondo sparring, it even has the jumping punches! Easily applicable to sparring, awe inspiring and challenging with its slow movements. It is a bit hard to learn an advanced pattern of the bat though. I find it much easier to start off with the easy ones and work my way up, I am currently trying to learn all the Palgwe and Pinan and Heian forms and jumping right onto the more advanced patterns doesn't go well..

19. NoBullShitFighting

Sipjin seems to be a Bergen thing :p All the people I've met that do Poomsae at that level from Bergen really like Sipjin, and Cho Woon Sup performes it occasionally at arrangements at Greig Hall. I've always liked the start of Sipjin, because it makes it stand out from all the other patterns. I also see that a lot of people tend to rip off those moves in custom poomsae competitions as well, either that or the start of Chonkwon.

Oerjan likes this.
  20. Spykakos

Spykakos New Member

Taegeuk Chil Jang for me. It was the easiest poomsae I learned.