Who influenced you in your TKD training.

Discussion in 'The Instructors Room' started by John McNally, Mar 4, 2013.

1. John McNally

John McNally Active Member

Master R Sergiew ,Master J Mackenna, Master P Donnerly, Master P Eacock and R Newcombe and now as a 5th Degree (slightly behing on my grade'ing's) those that influence me or i respect greatly GM Paul Liversidge and Grand Master Kwang Duk Chung.

3. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Great question.
    I am blessed in that I have gotten to work with some remarkable individuals.

Master Leonard Cofar ran our group. He earned his first dan when he was 50 or so. That being said he is the very model of leadership. (No wonder as he was a prominent figure in his church as a Senior Pastor overseeing many different congregations)

Of course he learned TKD from our GM. Chong Woong Kim. GM Kim is unusual among his peers in that TKD was his "part time" vocation. Like many he learned a different art (Tang Soo Do) in S. Korea before Taekwondo came to be. He moved to the US for his education. He earned his Ph.D before his Fifth Dan (Master Instructor in his eyes) and made a name for himself at a large US university, where he became the Dean of the college of business before retiring. Of course this is part of his story, but he is a remarkable indivicual with or without his 9th dan.

John McNally likes this.
  4. John McNally

Also Grand Master Rhee Ki Ha always a pleasure to meet and listen to.

5. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

I am pleased to say that yes, my main instructors over the last few years taught me almost everything I know but since I often learn through verbal description rather than just demonstration alone, some people who helped me to make great leaps were "little people" - people of no rank or status, some of whom I don't even know their names. I went to a Savate class and a guy there one session really helped me with boxing style punches a lot and helped me to understand what I was doing wrong where others had failed. A second degree Judoka at a university with no Judo club showed me how to never give up your training no matter what. A second degree black belt I had probably only talked to once or twice apart from this moment cornered me at a two-round sparring event and gave me some great advice that lead to me over time completely changing my sparring tactics. At a TKD camp, a junior black belt gave me some tips on sine wave technique, with just a few words explained to me when my body was too tense and stiff - and frankly this probably helped me with my punching technique overall. I've met some really great people and some of them I'm still in touch with and some of them not but it was a pleasure nonetheless. I love the people who treat martial arts as a team sport but with no opposing team (sparring comps excluded) and will just go out of their way to help you even if it benefits them in no way at all.

6. John McNally

Everyone can learn from another regardless of rank in some aspects, even as an instructor one must remember every day you are learning and should be open to such.

7. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

VIDEO REMOVED: Sorry, many members complained about the content in this video.

This really left an impression on me. It is disgusting, I really hope we will have to go back hundreds of years to find such an unethical display orchestrated by a martial arts teacher. This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start. I was just exposed to this footage, I have not seen it before, I am currently very angry and sad.

John McNally likes this.
  8. Ndnoakes

Ndnoakes New Member

I'm a Project Manager for Pharmaceutical Clinical Trials, and am also planning a wedding for next year with my fiancée, Heena :)

9. UK-Student

UK-Student Active Member

Lol, can only wonder what that terrible video contained.

10. Nightwing

Nightwing Member

Me too ^ If I had to guess its probably the video of a karate tournament in Brazil where the ref basically jumps one of the competitors because he was beating up on one of his (refs) students. The guy basically knocks the other guy out with hand strikes and then "curb" stomps him afterward.....the guy doesn't get up. No idea what the outcome was either, but no one in the audience made a move to stop it or deal with it. No BS what was the video? Am i right?

11. NoBullShitFighting

NoBullShitFighting Active Member

I've had four really good teachers who I try to get as good as. First there was a good friend of mine named John Kristian, he was really good at chopping up the pieces is small steps, that was his greatest talent, he could teach away any pattern within minutes. The second one was Harald, he was very good because he always had a deep calm voice and explained how each technique was to be properly executed, somehow his calmness and self-control rubbed of on students performance. Second one is Benjamin, really educated guy, he is the one to go to when you've got the practical down, but need the theory to further improve your performance, he is an expert on trigger points, fitness, kinetic chain etc. And lastly, Razim, he is the all round guy in terms of all of these fields. He prefers to keep it simple and is very accurate. He is very good at pushing people just enough to make the most progress and least injury. He has got a certain type of confidence and competence I believe only can be achieved through experience. And it is also assuring to know that the guy has been around, he has centuries of experience, taught 75 students at the same time and fought in tournaments that are a bit more full-contact than whats legal these days. So to me these people represent what skills that would need to be present, and Razim represents a way of putting it together.

But really there is so much more comming to think of it that I would like to incorporate. This one guy I sparred with was excellent in terms of creativity and that is an important skill to. And then you have all the social skills. It isn't so big of a difference between seeing an opening on the opponent and have the balls to go for it immediately and seeing a hottie sitting by the bar all by herself and approach her to strike up a conversation.

12. Granada88

Granada88 New Member

My first TKD instructor: Mr. Larry Creech, and also, all three of his sons: Mr. Shane (back then, a 2nd Degree), Mr.Mike (then a 4th degree), and Mr. Scott (then, a 3rd degree). The physical skill of these four gentlemen were ALWAYS amazing to watch. Whenever I started to feel stagnant, I'd load up and head down to the dojang and watch the black belts workout. All four would usually be there...with Mr. Mike Creech teaching the class. I always left there feeling inspired and on fire to train.

Also, my VERY FIRST instructor... Mr. Ron Taylor. Then, he was a 2nd degree Black Belt in the Japanese system of Chito-Ryu Karate. That man is as fast as lightning. And, always displayed good leadership in the Dojo.

13. Ade Tomlinson

Ade Tomlinson New Member

I guess i just fell Lucky as my first instructor jon dr taylor a wado ryu teacher was an epic gentlemen to train with. later on for tkd was master Malcolm schole 8 th dan and master jill pierce 7 th dan , both are great instructors whos wisdom i,ll treasure as long as i live , i was also lukcy enough to train with ron sergew ,raph minnot ,paul donnely and dave oliver as well of the TAGB.
    Othe rinstructors did courses too during this period includin grand maste hee il cho , rhee ki haa all of which were great teachers.
    Also while being based over seas training with shin kim ed lee and jang kim was pricless.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018