WT and ITF set to launch joint organization

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

From Korea times today, yet it states in the document "within December 2018" .. It's january 2020 as of writing and nothing has come of it.

I don’t see the need for this at all. The two sports (especially in free sparring) have such a big difference in emphasis at this point. Neither side would do well in the others rule set without extensive cross-training. The two styles are simply too different at this point. Who is the main party responsible for pushing this yearly unification talk?

"WT and ITF shall establish a joint body committed to the integration of Taekwon-Do and decide on the committee's name, characteristics and mandate through consultation between the two Federations within December 2018."

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/art...TkT3gqYd_Ta8QBLbSGRTkoTGDw1Bd8x2n5ontTthW4igI

2. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

The article is from 2nd November 2018. The integration body was created, exists, meets regularly and several joint events have been held. So to say nothing has come of it isn't really true.
    Not the point. The point is recognising each other and ending intolerance and hostility between the orgs. Joint events to date have focused mostly on demonstration, but joint tournaments are not out of the question. In any case, the two are not that different once you get to know them.

Presidents of both orgs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. Gnarlie

4. Gnarlie

5. Gnarlie

6. Gnarlie

Not really true that nothing came of it. I could go on.

7. Gnarlie

even as far back as 2015, if you haven't been living under a rock.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So this is only with regards to demonstrations?

9. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So what is the name of this joint body?

10. Gnarlie

No. Read the article you posted.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

It does not specify the activities and all you posted was demos

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

An ITF black belt has an estimated belt level of green in WT sparring competitions. That is a significant difference.

13. Gnarlie

It is nameless, because it is made up of members from both orgs. Each org has nominated representatives on the committee under the Accord.

14. Gnarlie

Yes, it does.

15. Gnarlie

The two martial arts are very similar. This is why the initial emphasis has been on demonstration and not competition. The spirit of the Accord is cooperation not competition.

Belt level is irrelevant to competition.

16. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

"Various activities" is not specific

17. Gnarlie

Jeez man just read the Accord, it is included in the article.

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That’s why I wrote especially sparring. In terms of patterns, it's not a radical change to pivot the supporting leg 180 degree instead of 45, or do a front chamber instead of a semi circular one. But it doesn’t end there. Sine Wave removal, style of delivery, stance etc so quite a bit of modifications. I have an ITF WC competitor who trains WT-style in his school program and he spoke of WT sparring as a different sport. He opined that WT sport is more of a sweet science, wheras ITF is much less polished but more combat oriented. You can not just step into either sport. The cross-over is vastly exaggerated by these leaders who clearly don’t follow each others sports..

19. Gnarlie

As long as you step in with respect, it's fine. The differences are really superficial when it gets down to principles - hitting, kicking, punching, grabbing, twisting, tripping, balance manipulations. There are more similarities than differences.

20. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

The bulk of KKW kick training is not in ITF.... Double roundhouse kicks are not part of or drilled in ITF ever. . Nor are Tornado kicks. Both of those techniques were drilled extensively as basic kicks in KKW curriculum, even though the forms did not include them.

So.. Outside of patterns, the overlap is not that great if two of the main techniques aren't even taught and are not part of the encyclopedia either (hence why we don't do them).

The independent TaeKwonDo organisations tend to be flashier though but this is strictly with regards to ITF and KKW