WT and ITF set to launch joint organization

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Pleonasm, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

Because Kukki TKD is the South Korean variant, and represents the unified form.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

No. Kukki is one South Korean branch of TKD, ITF is another one. The ITF has no historical lineage to North Korea. General Choi looked to North Korea when he was feuding with South Korea. The original ITF demo team were South Koreans.

On the 22nd March, 1966 General Choi formed the International Taekwon-Do Federation (ITF) in Seoul, South Korea, with Master Kim Jong Chan designing both the ITF logo and the ITF flag.

3. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I don't know what that means. I would certainly feel more familiar in a Shotokan class than a KKW class, and a belt transfer would make less sense in KKW

4. Gnarlie

Trolling you dude. Lol.

5. Gnarlie

I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

6. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

I think you are greatly underestimating the difficulty level of tornados, scissor kicks, and other WT-style kicks. It is not something an ITF student with no prior experience would automatically assimilate. WT has Olympic status. You cannot discount the impact this has on the schools available. Just as the Olympic status of Judo makes it quite different in emphasis and methodology from Brazilian Jiujitsu.

7. Gnarlie

No problem for a competent black belt of either org to take on techniques and principles from the other.

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Btw, WT competitions are a bit more viewer friendly now. Did they ban poking and slapping with the foot? It's more consistent thrusting techniques. Combatively not much different (head hunting, KOs, are still low etc) but at least less of a fencing sport.

9. Gnarlie

There have been some rule changes to discourage undesirable and conservative play. For example, you lift your foot, you have to kick, either with that foot or with an immediate follow up. Just lifting and dropping the foot without kicking leads to a penalty.

10. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

That’s a great change. I wonder though, do you get a point if you kick someone in the face and the helmet doesn’t register an impact? There's a lot of crescent kicks to the head in the clinch

11. Gnarlie

The helmet registers. The face does not.

12. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

So there I solved it.

13. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

What if a kick to the face (without helmet registration) leads to KO?

14. Gnarlie

Then it wins. It's not illegal, it just doesn't score.

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Active Member

Did face kicks score points prior to the detector or did they always have to be on the helmet?

16. Gnarlie

They still score in tournaments where the electronics are not used