WTF poomsae speed vs Kukkiwon

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by Midnight, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Midnight

Midnight New Member

So... Watching poomsae competition. I notice how fast they go through it. Compared to the speed that is shown on the official Kukkiwon videos. I wonder.... Are the Kukkiwon videos slowed down so we may see the technical aspects or are the WTF poomsae speed up for competitive reasons. I myself prefer the Kukkiwon video speed. Question is... Which is the speed we should be practicing at? And which do you prefer?

2. Gary Thorpe

Gary Thorpe New Member

Hi
    Article 10 of the current WTF poomsae rules allows 30 to 90 secs to complete the form, deductions will be made if you are outside these times. As a general rule accuracy of techniques is most important. You will notice in the videos the demonstrators are perhaps master 2 or 3 (50 years and older) and are expected to do the forms slower.

3. c5sparkchaser

c5sparkchaser New Member

I would say that, if the techniques are distinctive, correct, and sharp, it does not really matter the speed the form is done.

When I am doing a form with my Master (even one I am very comfortable with) he is usually faster than I am, even if by only 1/2 to 1 move. If I try to keep up, it feels like my techniques suffer because I am rushing. Some of it is because I am a stockier build than he is and it takes longer to stop & start my greater mass, but I think it's also my internal cadence is simply slower than his. Our school (mainly ITF but with WTF influences) does not do the sine wave style, but when we practice with a school that does, we've noticed that they perform the forms MUCH more slowly and deliberately than we do. I'm constantly telling the children in our school that the forms are not a race and it does not matter who finishes first, but whose techniques are best and that they should slow down. Unless your Master makes an issue out of it, I would do your forms however you feel gives you the best results.

4. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

I've said it before, and I will say it again.
    I have never seen anyone win a forms competition for being the fastest.

Michael MacNeil likes this.
  5. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

If you want to practice poomsae for reasons other than competition, for example for their intended purposes, you should be allowing enough time to fully enjoy each movement and not feel rushed. That's different for everyone, within a normal range. I find competition poomsae way too fast. Not the individual movements, but the overall pace.

6. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

For other purposes than competitions, I'd say follow the speed they're originally designed for. I always teach all my students to do forms at the same speed for everyone. I could get a demonstration team as a bonus.

7. Gnarlie

I also find that the speed of competitive poomsae often comes at the cost of compromising the integrity of the movement. The knife hand strikes and blocks at the end of Koryo are a good example. Those movements should have a reaction hand, and in competition, they often become one handed on the second movement of the combination.

8. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Really? Oh, I don't know that rule. That makes the movement looks bad. I'm always convinced that no Tae Kwon Do hand movement involves only one hand, the other must always present to keep balance because of impact from the main hand.

9. Gnarlie

I agree. It is people rushing the motion that causes one handed movements.

10. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Active Member

I look at them as a piece of music, with phrases, pauses and the like. Each note/technique must be shown/played, then moving onto the next one, (obviously having to execute more than one technique/note at a time when needed). Where it differs from a music score (there is a set speed) there is more freedom on the duration of the Poomse, as long as each technique is given its correct duration so not to race through certain parts, it should be correct.

Are my thoughts about right or have I got it totally wrong.