WTF stance advice

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by stevie h, Jun 10, 2018.

1. stevie h

stevie h New Member

Hi guys am just looking for help please. I am an ITF practitioner however I have two young nieces who have begun training WTF. They are going to be staying a few days with us and I thought I could pass a little time by giving them a bit of training.
    I tried to check online and asked a couple of WTF friends who were inconclusive. In ITF we have our stances and proportions relating to shoulder widths clearly stated in Gen Choi's Encyclopaedia but WTF seems more vague. I have found the attached image and was wondering if these stances relating to foot lengths are widely acceptable?
    Obviously I don't want to be teaching anything incorrectly that then must be put right.
    In ITF I would be teaching narani annun gunnun and niunja at first
    How many of the stances would you teach 5 and 7 year old beginners in WTF?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. Narcsarge

Narcsarge New Member

For 5-6 year olds I would recommend the basics: Horse stance, Walking stance (shoulder width), and deep stance. The chart you posted is accurate.
    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Yes.
    3 at max and in order: horse riding (joochoom seogi), walking (ap seogi), front (ap kubi)

Narcsarge likes this.
  5. stevie h

stevie h New Member

thankyou...….the deep stance is quite narrow then compared with ITF. Only one foot length in width?

Narcsarge likes this.
  6. stevie h

stevie h New Member

Thankyou....so the ap kubi is one foot length in width but 2 and a half in length?....Which would be the first L shaped stance taught please?.....back stance or the shorter one?....thankyou for your help

7. Narcsarge

Narcsarge New Member

I hate "absolutes". My background is Shotokan and Shaolin Gung Fu before I took up TDK. Front stance, or deep stance, should be at least shoulder width. It could be narrowed for people who have knee issues or hip issues. It could also be wider. The emphasis should be that the front leg should be knee over ankle with the foot pointing straight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. Mario Ray Mahardhika

Mario Ray Mahardhika Active Member

Yes.
    I typically teach dwit kubi first, as the hand technique that uses oreun / owen seogi is a bit far ahead (taken from taegeuk, it's in taegeuk 5 jang, the me jumeok naeryo chigi or hammerfist downward strike, for blue belt).