Your Taekwondo History

Discussion in 'General Taekwondo Discussions' started by Matt, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Matt

Matt Member

Just out of my own curiosity what ranks do you guys all have? How long have you been training? At what age did you acquire new ranks (mainly blackbelt ranks)? And if you dont mind who have you trained under? I am just curious as to see how my progression matches with other people.

So I hold a third Dan black belt certified with Kukkiwon, and I have trained in ITF style but also know the WTF black belt patterns. I started training at the age of 5 and I am currently 17. I achieved the rank of black belt shortly after my 9th birthday and tested for second dan at the age of 11. I then tested for my third Dan when I was 14 and am currently about one year short of testing for fourth dan. I started my training under Master Friello, head of the Taekwondo branch for the AAU. HE was my main instructor till I was about 2nd dan, after that his successor per say took over the school and I currently train under him.

2. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

I am just curious as to why you have WTF Kukkiwon Certification but have trained in the ITF style...

3. akisbat

akisbat Member

Is that even possible ? I mean , Iam pretty sure this cannot happen. But maybe we misunderstood the post (?) or Matt made a mistake writting it.

4. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

I have a 1st dan but its not recognized or certified by any organization so I don't really bring it up :( I'm familiar with and have studied on my own the Palgwe and Taeguk forms and own lots of books on them but I learned a different set of forms from my unaffiliated instructor.

5. Matt

Matt Member

At my school all blackbelts have the option to be certified with Kukkiwon, but we learn the ITF patterns and such. We are taught to a standard that gets us the requirements that Kukkiwon needs per rank.

6. Anthony Hayward

Anthony Hayward Active Member

Oh ok.. You must be with an off chute ITF... Do you also wear the WTF Dobok.. I.e. black V neck?

7. John Hulslander

John Hulslander Active Member

Oddly enough as you can see from our profile pic. Even though we are part of WTF, we wear traditional doboks (except for competition) we teach Tang Soo Do gup forms but Kukkiwon Dan forms. (Makes for a lot of forms)

8. Matt

Matt Member

Yes we wear the WTF style dobok, although I own the heavier ITF style for self defense training and weapon training.

9. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

My instructor was Mike Wiggins, and he received his 3rd dan from J. S. Chung (9th dan in TKD and 8th dan HKD according to his bio and who had an academy in the middle of Illinois (United States). But I believe that academy is closed as of this year.

10. Matt

Matt Member

Was he the Head instructor? being Mike Wiggins?

11. Raymond

Raymond Active Member

Yes, that is who I learned TKD from (his expression of it anyway).

12. sabomnimdan

sabomnimdan New Member

I'm 4th Dan and have been for around a year now. I started training at 11 so I've been at it for 23 years now. I got my 1st Dan in '97 at the age of 16. 2nd Dan was around 2003 and I think 3rd was 2009. As you can see from the timeframes I've been more focussed on training myself and my students than on attaining ranks.

I train under Grandmaster Yong Dai Cho, 9th Dan, who was one of the students of Ji Do Kwan before it amalgamated with several other kwans to form Kukkiwon.