Yul-Gok, how does the pattern diagram represent the Scholar?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo Patterns' started by mortiferum, Jun 11, 2018.

1. mortiferum

mortiferum New Member

Dear Sirs, Masters, Senior Masters and Grandmasters

My first post - recently promoted to 5th Kup and just started the process of learning my 5th kup Korean terminology.

Yul–Gok. (38 movements) Yul-Gok is the pseudonym of a great philosopher and scholar Yi l (1536-1584), nicknamed “The Confuscious of Korea.” The 38 movements of the pattern represent his birthplace on the 38º latitude and the diagram represents (+) “Scholar.”

I've tried using Google translate English / Korean and entered 'Scholar' in the hopes of seeing the Yul-Gok pattern diagram represented in the Korean character 학자 but I don't really see it.

Can you explain, how the diagram represents the 'Scholar'?

Many thanks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. Gnarlie

Gnarlie Well-Known Member

The symbol for scholar is Sino-Korean / adopted Chinese / Hanja and looks like this 土. The same symbol forms the line of the Kukkiwon Poomsae Koryo. It means Seonbae, which is an honorific term typically only used to refer to a third person. It means 'elder', 'senior', or 'he who has already taken the path'.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. mortiferum

mortiferum New Member

Hi Gnarlie

Thanks for your reply much appreciated...do you have an online source you could refer me to for this, I'd like to read more about it?

I tried googling the character 土 - and in a variety of 'far east' vocabularies (Chinese, Japanese, Hanja) it is the character that denotes 'soil or earth'?

5. Gnarlie

Not that I know of. It's a combination of the character for 10, or decimal (+) and the character for 1 (_), meaning person who knows (1 to 10).

You can find out more about the term by googling Seonbae (honorific). Analysing the characters is more difficult and can be misleading.

6. mortiferum

mortiferum New Member

士 = Scholar

土 = Soil

So I was able to quiz a fluent Chinese relative and thought I would post my simplified findings for any others interested.

It’s quite subtle and was initially unnoticeable to my untrained eye but notice the lengths of the top most horizontal stroke in relation to the bottom horizontal stroke.

The characters are Chinese (Traditional).

Gnarlie likes this.
  7. Gnarlie

True, typo on my part. I copied the character from an article instead of using a Chinese character set.

The meanings are correct though.